Whether you are interested in purchasing an ebike or you’re looking into starting from scratch in order to create your very own customized electric bicycle, you will definitely need to know the basics of the electric bike motor.
There are two main types of electric bike motors, each with their own set of features and functions.
The hub motor:
• The motor is compact in size to fit into the wheel.
• Most hub motors provide great efficiency with relatively low noise.
• Many of the leading companies offer custom-made hub electric bike motors to fit the needs of the consumer.
• Initially, you have to set up the built-in programmer.
• The best models offer cruise control.
• The weight can range from 5-15kg, which is a lot.
• The power ranges from 250-1000 Watts depending on the hub motor regulations for the area.
• The price ranges from a $100 to as much as $500.
• It is extremely energy efficient with minimum loss of energy and the total cost of maintenance is surprisingly low.
• Generally, you have to modify the wheel to make room for the electric bike motor.
The brushless motor:
• The electric bike motor has electronic functioning.
• It is environmentally safe.
• The motor works with a DC current.
• Generally, a brushless motor has an integrated gearbox, which significantly increases the amount of motor torque.
• High speed cruising with this motor is a highly enjoyable experience.
If you intend on buying an e bike kit then it will come with one of these motors and probably a choice between wide ranges of power. E bike kits are easier to install for a first time user and a person with limited knowledge of machinery. However, if you want to construct an entire electric bike from scratch, then you should pay special attention to the electric bike motor specifications to select the kind that would fit your lifestyle.